ADSM-L

Re: Migration steps TSM 5.1 to 5.2 on AIX

2004-07-01 08:36:30
Subject: Re: Migration steps TSM 5.1 to 5.2 on AIX
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 08:36:36 -0400
Hi:
We chose to do it this from necessity as we understand it. We have to
move off AIX 4.3.3 since it is not supported, but TSM 5.1 will not run
on AIX 5.2 as I understand it. Or is that incorrect?

If TSM 5.1 will run on AIX 5.2 then we would reinstall TSM as
equivalent to the TSM running on AIX 4.3.3 (5.1,Level 6.1) and break out
the upgrade as a separate step.

>>> rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU 07/01/2004 3:22:52 AM >>>
Oh lordy be! You really know how to ask for trouble! I hope your
resume
is updated.

I would STRONGLY recommend NOT changing everything at the same time.
If
something goes wrong, as it inevitably will, you'll never know where
start looking for the problem. (Or, are you being given a week of
downtime for this?)

Break this into 3 separate projects:

1. Move to new hardware, keeping everything else the same.

2. Upgrade AIX from 4.3.3 to the latest 5.2 (with Maintenance Level
3!)

3. Upgrade TSM from 5.1.6.1 to 5.2.2.0

Steps 1 and 2 could be swapped and done in either order. But the
important thing here is you should approach this as three separate
projects. If something goes wrong at any of the three steps, you'll
have
a much easier time figuring it out and recovering, in a reasonable
amount of time, and with reasonable chances of not destroying your TSM
database.

Roger Deschner      University of Illinois at Chicago
rogerd AT uic DOT edu
==== A carelessly planned project will take three times longer than
====
== expected; a carefully planned project will take only twice as
long.==

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Lawrence Clark wrote:

>Questions:
>1). Are the dsmsrv.opt compatible across 5.1 to a 5.2 TSM release
>2). Will the upgradedb auto-invoke when I attempt to bring up the 5.2
server pointing to the old 5.1 database
>3). If not, where is it.....upgradedb is not found on the server.
Would it be explicitly invoked prior to bringing up the 5.2 server as in
dsmc upgradedb?
>4). Are there any things that should be done prior to migration, such
as an audit db on the 5.1 TSM db