ADSM-L

Re: Moving Nodes between servers

2004-06-28 13:55:25
Subject: Re: Moving Nodes between servers
From: asr AT UFL DOT EDU
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:55:04 -0400
==> In article <2904FC2C54BA3946BBCF9C088D24D1D10168C7AD AT
mdynycmsx1.ad.moodys DOT net>, "Chang, Calvin" <Calvin.Chang AT moodys DOT com>
writes:

> Hi Allen,

> Thank you for your previous response.

> Would the node name being exported have to reside on the target server also?
> Because how would TSM know which Storage pool or domain to export to on the
> target server?

> Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Yes.

In the simplest case, in which you desire a situation on the target server
similar to that on the source, you could simply export all at once.

However, you can also export node once, move it into a domain whose retention
characteristics are as you desire, and then re-export it (without replacing
the definitions, to be sure) sending the file data.  You will discover that
the file data moves into the stgpool appropriate for the copy group of the
default mgmt class for the domain in question.  And then take a breath.

I have not observed a way to specify e.g. include/exclude behavior in this
type of transitition, so if you need data in different stgpools on a
granularity more fine than the per-filespace level, I don't know how to
accomplish this.  Even to do it per-filespace, it will be necessary to fiddle
with the default mgmtclass between filespaces.

- Allen S. Rout