ADSM-L

TDP for Oracle discovery

2004-06-28 09:55:22
Subject: TDP for Oracle discovery
From: "Davidson, Becky" <Becky.Davidson AT SLBG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:55:09 -0500
More a discovery then a problem.  We are running Tivoli Data Protection for
oracle version 5.1.5.0 on aix 5.2
We discovered last week that we had data going to tapes that we did not
expect.  After a great deal of research we discovered the problem.

In the Redbook and manual for TDP for Oracle they have the management class
that the data goes to set up as the default management class.  They don't
specify that you can/need to set up a stanza in the tdpo.opt for the data
files and a stanza for the archive logs.  We typically make our default
management class a "cold" management class for those backups/archives that
you need to keep for an extended period of time.  We set up an oracle
management class for the backups and added the line
Include /system_filespace/* system_oracle
In the include.def.  No where in any of the manuals/Redbooks does it explain
that just takes care of the data files and you need to do something else for
the archive logs or it goes to the default management class of the domain.
After searching adsm.org we found
<http://my.adsm.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=v
iewtopic&topic=2215&2
<http://my.adsm.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpBB_14&file=index&action=v
iewtopic&topic=2215&2> >  which explains that you can change it.  We are
planning on dealing with that this week.

I don't know that anyone else has run into this or if they have they haven't
talked about it so I figured I would pass on what we discovered.

Enjoy!

Becky Davidson
Data Manager
EDS/Sara Lee Bakery Group