ADSM-L

Re: TSM on zOS throughput

2004-06-25 07:07:17
Subject: Re: TSM on zOS throughput
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:01:43 -0400
Bill,
        I am surprised that someone would have their backups that are
going to a z900 which is a fairly current machine using a CIP card which
is ancient.  Remembering that the CIP card came into popularity because
the mainframe USED to have a very bad TCPIP stack ( early to mid
1990's).  The CIP card would do the stacks work.  Try having the CIP
card just pass the traffic to the z900's TCP Stack.  It will actually
have a different IP address.  We currently still have a CIP card onboard
for other uses but do have it configured so the you can address work to
the CIP or to the MF's TCP stack. This will probably help.  It would
help much more to use a better adapter for backups.  I get 11-12 MBytes
(not bits) a second from ATM adapters and 40 MB/sec from a GB Etherent
adapter.  I am doing that with an older 9672-x57.
Hope it helps.
Matt