ADSM-L

Re: journaling on SUN

2004-06-23 14:39:08
Subject: Re: journaling on SUN
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 13:38:55 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Joel Fuhrman
>The system administrator for a medical imaging system
>(GE-PACS) whats to use TSM
>for backup.  The system has millions of small files which are
>never changed.
>Only new files are added to the system.  So this seem ideal
>for journaling.
>
>If journaling is not an option, I would welcome suggestions on
>methods which
>would guarantee that all files are backed up without having to
>suffer the overhead of the standard backup process.

That's a poser. HSM will move the files to more-or-less permanent tape
storage, but that won't alleviate the interminable directory scan that
still must be done. (This use of HSM would make large-scale restores
very fast, however.)

One off-the-wall suggestion: move the files (if possible) to a Windows
system that has an NFS-exported filesystem that you set a mount point to
on the Sun box. (Microsoft's UNIX Services for Windows, which is free
nowadays, works rather well in this aspect.) Use the Windows TSM client
(which does have journaling) to back up your files. You'll get a
performance hit if you concurrently access a large number of files, and
a downed NFS connection (for whatever reason) won't do you any good,
either.

--
Mark Stapleton