ADSM-L

Re: anyone have script for multi-session/multi-filespace restore?

2004-06-23 11:56:13
Subject: Re: anyone have script for multi-session/multi-filespace restore?
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 10:55:43 -0500
Matt --

If you're archiving the filesystems, run multiple archives in parallel
direct to tape. You should then be able to restore with the same
parallelism. If you're doing backups, try co-locating by filespace --
but you'll probably still run into media waits on the restore. Depending
on the tape technology, these waits should not be lengthy.

Becky --

I run four or five sessions of TDP/R3 direct to tape using the same
management class and storage pool. The backups run about 2.5 to 3 hours
for 900 GB or more of data. My restores are either to test environments
that are only allowed three sessions but manage to complete in about 8
hours, or to my production environment at our D/R hotsite. In the case
of the hotsite, we are working with only two tapes from the off-site
copies and the restore runs about 6 hours even with the occasional media
wait.

These processes work for us; YMMV.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc