ADSM-L

anyone have script for multi-session/multi-filespace restore?

2004-06-23 11:20:35
Subject: anyone have script for multi-session/multi-filespace restore?
From: "MC Matt Cooper (2838)" <Matt.Cooper AT AMGREETINGS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:20:09 -0400
Hello all,
       I received no responses from my previous post    'Need your
thoughts on best RESTORE approach'.  So with just my own research I have
found that TSM does NOT have anything to manage a multi-filespace,
multi-session restore that is not relying on the user to prevent 2
sessions asking for the same tape.  (please tell me I am wrong)
     ( reference the section in the (AIX) client book on LARGE RESTORES,
NO QUERY,  it is set up for a single filespace (NO WILDCARDS)
In my case I will have 60+ filesspaces on 6+ tapes with 8 tape drives
available and have to start from the command line (actually scripted) to
start a session for each tape drive.  The real problem is preventing
more than 1 session from asking for the same tape.  I believe I can find
the necessary information to write the script from quering the
volumeusage  and volume tables and doing the restore comands from there.
I would guess I am not the first one to approach this problem and hate
to spend my time trying to script this when someone else, (who is most
likely much better at scripting than me) has already done it.

Does anyone have a script that will arrange/control the submission of
multiple restore sessions to avoid having sessions having to wait for
other sessions to finish using a tape?

Thanks in advance
Matt