ADSM-L

Re: no status of empty when querying volume

2004-06-22 10:10:11
Subject: Re: no status of empty when querying volume
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 10:10:56 -0400
Chris,

When a tape is scratch, it is not assigned to any pool, and therefore TSM
does not report it as an empty volume.

You can define a volume to a storage pool:

define volume <stgpoolname> <volname>

And until you write something to that volume, it will appear as empty when
you issue your "q vol".

-Lloyd

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:44:25 -0400
Christopher Zahorak <chris AT UWINDSOR DOT CA> wrote thusly:

> Hello,
>
> I'm very new to TSM. I have a question to why there are no tapes listed
> as empty. I have 90 tapes in my scratch list but when I do the following
> command:
>
> q volume status=empty , I get a returned message indicating the
> following:"ANR2034E QUERY VOLUME: No match found using this criteria."
> I then perform the following command: q volume - to list everything in
> my volumes and the status of the tapes are either FULL or FILLING.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris.
>

> Christopher S. Zahorak, BCS
> Senior Systems Programmer
>
> University of Windsor
> IT Services, Rm 203
> 401 Sunset Avenue
> Windsor, Ontario
> N9B 3P4
> P: (519)253-3000 ext. 2762
> F: (519)973-7083
> email: chris AT uwindsor DOT ca

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
                     Registered Linux User 285528
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:585-389-1260    fax:585-389-1267