ADSM-L

Re: how many licenses needed

2004-06-22 07:55:58
Subject: Re: how many licenses needed
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 06:56:05 -0500
In my current understanding:
        1 exchange license per processor on each exchange server
        1 sql license per processor on each sql server
        for all other computers
        1 client license for every processor on each remaining computer,
including
                the TSM server.

The exchange or SQL licenses cover them using a standard client license.  I
understand if you are using DB2, that DB2 allows use of TSM for no
additional charge for each processor licensed for DB2.

Also, if you use Xenon processors with Hyper threading turned on (so they
appear as two processors), you need just ONE processor license. (One license
for each 'real processor', not 'virtual processor').

Not for setting the licensing right in TSM, well that is a differnt story.
There you license
one 'client' per client, and one SQL and EXCHANGE for each of them also.
Why is this different that the 'real' licenses?  History.  The 'software
regulated' licensing process has not kept up with the 'legal' licensing
process.

This is just for backup client, I don't know about HSM.  This is my
experience with the 'enterprise' version of TSM.

Of course, talk with the IBM TSM licensing folks and read your contract for
YOUR real answer.

... JC