ADSM-L

Migrating from Z/vm to Z/OS

2004-06-21 16:59:37
Subject: Migrating from Z/vm to Z/OS
From: cc52 <CC52 AT SDSUMUS.SDSTATE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 15:58:44 CDT
We have been running TSM on VM since ADSM Version 1.  Since it
hasn't been updated in years we need to migrate to another platform.
Originally we had hoped to move it to Linux/390 but its (LINUX-390)
lack of support
for ESCON connections to our ESS-800 and our 3494 libs make that
impossible.  Instead we plan to move it to our Z/OS 1.4 system.
We also plan to consolidate  an old RS/6000 TSM 3.1 system onto this box
(Our AIX apps are slowly being moved to LINUX since we have been finding
more of our technical software vendors,  such as Pro-Engineer,
dropping development of AIX apps in favor
of Windows and Linux).  We plan to hire our TSM reseller to help with
the conversion.

The VM version required a trivial amount of systems support (adding
nodes and tape volumes was about it).
What types of issues have other VM TSM sites found in
migrating of off the VM version?

Ron Greve
SDSU Admin and Research Computing Services