ADSM-L

Re: Redefining drives and paths

2004-06-16 12:06:52
Subject: Re: Redefining drives and paths
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:06:38 -0400
Try defining the drives first then the paths. It's in reverse order from
when you delete them.
Sequence order of events is very important with drive pathing in TSM 5.
Also you can try halting and then restarting the tsm server instance.
Very last if AIX you can do an "lsdev -Cc tape" to make sure they are
available if not then delete them
all "lsdev -Cc tape | awk '{print "rmdev -dl " $1}' > file;chmod 700
file;./file", then run "cfgmgr"
then check: "lsdev -Cc tape" again.  Also make sure your library manger
special device is available
and ready: "lsdev -Cc tape | grep -i smc". You can test it with: "tapeutil
-f/dev/smc0 inventory | more"
Thanks!

--Justin Richard Bleistein
Unix/TSM Systems Administrator

|         |           Bill Fitzgerald  |
|         |           <wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET|
|         |           >                |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM:  |
|         |           Dist Stor        |
|         |           Manager"         |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           .EDU>            |
|         |           06/16/2004 10:50 |
|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor |
|         |           Manager"         |

  |       To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                                        |
  |       cc:
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: Redefining drives and paths

I am not sure of the 3584 tape system, but on our 3494 tape system,
connected to an AIX box, when a tape drive it taken off line and then
set back to on line, the drive goes into a state of "unknown". The first
time that drive is accessed by the library, it changes state again.

also make sure that the drives and paths are on line.

>>> Moses.Show AT STPAUL DOT COM 6/16/04 10:20:02 AM >>>

Hi,
        Have just had to delete both the paths and drives which we use
for
TSM backups on an IBM3584 tape library because of issues regarding
drives
not being defined to use LTO2 tapes. Once successfully deleted the
drives
and paths were re-defined in the correct order. However upon redeining
the
drives thay all appear to have a drive status of unknown. Does anyone
know
why this happens and more importantly how to rectify this so the
drives
actually shown their correct state   i.e empty or loaded. Will a reboot
of
the server clear this issue up ?

Any help would be appreciated

This communication, together with any attachments hereto or links
contained herein, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain information that is confidential or legally protected. If
review, disclosure, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of this
communication is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail message and delete the original and all copies of the
communication, along with any attachments hereto or links herein, from
your system.

The St. Paul Travelers e-mail system made this annotation on
06/16/2004, 10:16:08 AM.