ADSM-L

Experiences with TSM server running on Linux86

2004-06-15 11:39:34
Subject: Experiences with TSM server running on Linux86
From: "Anderson, Matt" <Matt.Anderson AT PEARSON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 10:39:13 -0500
Hey all,

We're currently considering replacing our 2 very large AIX TSM servers with
a large number (maybe 10 or so) of smaller, Linux based servers. The reason
for the change is to reduce the impact of hardware failure, allow for
database maintenance within a reasonable window and (less importantly)
possibly improve backup performance.

The question is, does anyone have any experience running your TSM
environments on Linux and, if so, how did it all work?

Also, we use a piece of software called Distributape by Gresham to manage
our tape library on the mainframe. If anyone uses this on Linux, I'd be
especially interested to hear of your experiences.

Thanks!

Matt Anderson
Backup & Recovery Engineer

If you were not an intended recipient,