ADSM-L

Re: Reclamation data loss scenario

2004-06-11 09:00:32
Subject: Re: Reclamation data loss scenario
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 07:57:06 -0500
Richard,

You're right, of course, but in this case Bill was trying to balance risk
of corrupted primary tapes vs. shortage of media.  I sometimes find myself
in the  same situation.  My recommendation was relative to that balance
point.
If you have the luxury of lots of tapes and  library capacity, you can of
course set the reuse delay for as long as you'd like.
You're right about tape.  I have thanked IBM several times in this forum
for the idea of the copypool.  It has saved us on at least three different
occasions.
My wife's company uses a different backup product and local drives that
write one copy of each backup.  She longs for TSM's functionality.

Thanks.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, L.L.C.