ADSM-L

Re: OpenAFS backup using TSM via XBSA - procedure for compiling

2004-06-08 08:57:40
Subject: Re: OpenAFS backup using TSM via XBSA - procedure for compiling
From: Rainer Schöpf <rainer.schoepf AT PROTEOSYS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:57:04 +0200
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Loni Ly wrote:

 > Currently, we are running OpenAFS on Redhat Linux 7.2 (AS) and looking for a
 > backup
 > solution using IBM TSM.  After reading from mail-archive there appears
 > to be a way to compile OpenAFS with TSM XBSA (X-open-api) so that the
 > OpenAFS butc can communicate with TSM.
 >
 > Looking for a procedure on how to compile XBSA and what to compile?

I looked into this only last week.

XBSA is available only for AIX and Solaris/Sparc. Actually, you can copy
the header files to your Linux, but you need libXapi, an interface library
to convert the XBSA API to the TSM API. I think it would be possible to
write it yourself, but I'm not sure how much work it is.

If you go for AIX or Solaris, you still have to use the TSM 3.7 API, not
the current one. There was a patch posted last year:

  https://lists.openafs.org/pipermail/openafs-info/2003-August/010421.html

(As an aside: it seems that some people asked IBM to support XBSA for butc
on Linux back in 2001. Maybe it is now time to take this up again?)

Another possibility: modify butc to use the TSM API.

 > Please suggest any other backup methods you are successfully using with
 > OpenAFS on Linux.

You can do normal backup of /afs/yourcell, with dsm(c). Of course, you
lose the ACLs this way. Unfortunately, only the AIX version of TSM can
backup AFS ACLs.

What I haven't tried yet: use butc to dump to files, then backup the files
with TSM. I can write one dump file OK, but the next dump will overwrite
it. Obviously, the trick is to manage the files afterwards. I will look
into this when I have time.

 Rainer Schöpf