ADSM-L

TSM, Solaris, and more then 4 CPU's: Trouble in Paradise?

2004-06-07 15:58:09
Subject: TSM, Solaris, and more then 4 CPU's: Trouble in Paradise?
From: "French, Michael" <Michael.French AT SAVVIS DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:57:21 -0500
        My company runs TSM 5.1.8.1 on Sun E4500's with 4 procs and 4GB of RAM.
 I have tried twice now, once on 4.2 and now on 5.1 to add more processors
(either 2 or 4) and TSM performance drops through the floor.  Has anyone else
seen this behavior?  Normally, starting the server fresh only takes 10-15
minutes to mount all of the volumes and bring everything online, but with the
additional processors, it takes hours.  I have tried it on several machines
with different code levels with the same effect.  I have also tried it on both
Solaris 2.6 and 8, same effect.  Any suggestions from the peanut gallery?

Michael French
Savvis Communications
Enterprise Storage Engineer
(314)628-7392 -- desk