ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Exchange

2004-06-07 13:42:20
Subject: Re: TDP for Exchange
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 12:42:00 -0500
>>>From: Levi, Ralph [SMTP:RLevi AT HESS DOT COM]
>>Exchange
>>changing

>>From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf
Of

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Coats, Jack
>Sorry, then I am out of ideas.  Well, how about setting up a separate
pool,
>just for the
>long retention data, and do a special backup to that pool? ... Just a
>thought.
>Obviously backupset kind of thing would be preferrable.

An alternative is to run a second daily backup of your Exchange data
using an alternate management class that never allows expiration. You
can then pile your extra backups onto a separate set of tape volumes. At
least that way, you don't have a really nasty one-backup-one-tape
situation. (Keep in mind, of course, that this means a stream of tape
volumes going to the vault, never to return.)

However, this will only help you with ongoing backups, not the ones you
already have. About the only thing to do with his existing backups is to
run an export of the node to tape volume(s). I can't think of another
way to guarantee getting the last backup on the existing backup list.

Ralph, are you sure that you have to keep a copy of old Exchange backups
*forever*? (It sounds like pie-in-the-sky lawyer talk to me; as I
understand it, the current legal atmosphere doesn't require it.)

--
Mark Stapleton