ADSM-L

Generate backupset problem, solution and question

2004-06-07 11:20:22
Subject: Generate backupset problem, solution and question
From: Giedrius Jankauskas <Giedrius.Jankauskas AT MICROLINK DOT LT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:20:02 +0300
Hi there,

You guys have been great and helpful in the past, therefore I have one
more question/mystery to solve.

Situation :
windows 2000SP3,
TSM Version 5, Release 1, Level 5.0
Ibm lto3600 library with single drive.
2 storage pools : 'diskbackup' migrating to 'tapebackup'
And tape backup (the stgpoolnames speak for themselves so I'm not
explaining what they mean :))

client A computer backups network shares. This computer belongs to
standart policy domain and its files land in the diskbackup storage
pool. The usual way was to migrate this storage pool to tape after a
while. However, a need arose to regulary create backupsets from the A's
data. So, since I have only a single drive and make backupsets to tape I
needed to have my data on disk. I changed the migration settings and
stopped the migration from happening, executed selective backup command
and backed up all the shares that are usually backuped up with the
'incremental' schedule (the shares are part of the domain).
So it seemed to me that now I must have all my data on disk and ready to
create a backupset. Sadly, but no ! The process gets terminated and
message telling 'insufficient mount points' is written to actlog. I try
generating backups for single A client's filespaces (which is the exact
string as in my selective backup command) - same error.
Ok, from the error I get I make a logical conclusion that the backupset
process wants to load some data from tapes but since there is only one
drive it fails). So I load up the GUI tsm client, go to the restore
section and see that 'backup date' of all the files is the day of the
selective backup. I check a single filespace and click restore. The tsm
tries to mount a tape that has 'last written' to it 10 days ago. After
canceling this, checking a single file (or a bunch of them) the restore
process completes successfully. After that I can already successfully
restore the whole filespace and even generate backupsets.

So my question : I have a problem, I have a solution (found out by trial
and error method), but what's happening in the background ? Why does
restore function want to load older files from tapes instead of newer
ones (selective backup) from disk ? Why does single file restore somehow
'rebind' files to another storage pool. Or maybe I could just execute
some commands in verbose or debug mode and get more information about
what's happening ? I will grateful for pointing out any help section,
article or previous posts (I tried to search but found nothing useful).

Thanks for your time.
viny AT parkas DOT lt