ADSM-L

Re: Common Store and Tivoli

2004-06-04 10:46:19
Subject: Re: Common Store and Tivoli
From: "Davidson, Becky" <Becky.Davidson AT SLBG DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:45:53 -0500
We are using it for SAP documents and archiving.  It has it's own tsm
software server but shares a physical server with 2 other tsm software
servers and the commonstore server instances (4).  We have disk pools,
optical pools, and tape pools.  We have a domain for each Commonstore
Instance.  I keep each Commonstore instance in it's own directory tree so I
can upgrade one without upgrading the others.  For our production
commonstore instance depending on the requirement and the frequency of
recall we have management classes that point to disk which drain to optical
and then drain to tape with all being backed up to tape copy pool.  We have
management classes that point to optical and then drain to tape with tape
copy pools and then we have management classes that go straight to tape with
tape copy pools.

We are using a 3494 as our tape library for this but with our other tsm
servers we share both the 3494 and the 3584.  I found with the 3584 it was
easier to have one of the servers be the master and the others the client
for the tape library.  It does mean that if tsmsvr1 (master) is down then no
one else can use the tapes but it made it simpler because when I need drives
for Commonstore I don't necessarily need them for backups and vice versa.

Good luck
Becky Davidson
Data Manager
EDS/Sara Lee Bakery Group