ADSM-L

Re: Backup Stgpool behaviour

2004-06-03 16:06:48
Subject: Re: Backup Stgpool behaviour
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 15:06:18 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Reimer
>Suppose I've a storage pool called tapepool and a copy storage pool
called
>disaster-recovery, both sequencial storage pools. After some data
migrated
>to the tapepool storage pool a BACKUP STGPOOL is executed to copy this
>data to disaster-recovery. Some time later, new data are migrated to
the
>tapepool again and I would like to know what will happen when the
second
>BACKUP STGPOOL will be executed.
>
>Will TSM ask the last disaster-recovery tape volume and extend it? Or
will
>TSM ask another tape scracth volume to disaster-recovery and fill it
with
>only the new files that were last migrated to tapepool?

The BACKUP STGPOOL command is essentially a one-way synchronization of
files from the primary pool to the copy pool. If a file exists in the
primary pool but does not exist in the copy pool, the BACKUP STGPOOL
command makes that copy; if a file exists in both pools, no copy is
made.

(There is no need for synchronization in the other direction. When a
file is deleted and/or expired from a primary pool, the copy of that
file in the copy pool is also automatically deleted and/or expired.)

--
Mark Stapleton