ADSM-L

Re: Cristie BMR solution and TSM

2004-06-02 21:18:35
Subject: Re: Cristie BMR solution and TSM
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 18:18:08 -0700
Mark,

I don't understand why you waste the time to tell people to go somewhere else
for information.  If you don't know, save yourself the time and don't respond.

Sadi,

If you go to Cristie's website (http://www.cristie.co.uk) you can download not
only a trial version but also a pdf that walks you through the process.  This
will probably even give you a better idea of the interfaces than what I am
going to give you.

Here is a brief overview:

1) Cristie has a GUI that you use to configure a backup of the C:\ and
systemstate.  By default it only backs up the files on the C:\ required to
restore the operating system.  I suggest you backup the entire C:\ with Cristie
as it will make the restore more strait forward.  It is important to run the
Cristie backup as often as the OS changes.  You can schedule it.

2) You also use the GUI to backup the system's hardware configuration.  You can
choose to back this up to a floppy or a network share or both.

3) You then use TSM to backup everything else.  You can if you want have TSM
backup the systemstate and C:\ as well, it won't hurt the process.

4) At restore time you need to have access to the server's hardware config,
either from the floppy or the network share.

5) Cristie gives you an ISO that you will burn which is a bootable Linux CD
running TSM V3.1.0.6 (or maybe a newer version now).

6) You boot off of the Linux CD and run through a text based menu.  You have to
pick options to load your disk config and network config.

7) You then use a menu option to point to the location that has the hardware
config (floppy or network).

8) You then pick a menu option that starts the restore.  It contacts the TSM
server and starts a restore of everything that was backed up via Cristie.  This
restore is done to a FAT (or FAT32 I can't remember which) partition.

9) When the restore completes it boots to windows.  A pop up comes up letting
you know that Cristie set the flag to convert the OS from FAT to NTFS and that
another reboot is required.

10) After the next reboot the system is back up and you can now restore the
rest of the drives using the TSM GUI.

This process saves you the time of having to install windows before you restore
the sytem which can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour.  The latest version
of Cristie is supposed to support a DR to dissimilar hardware but I have not
had a chance to test that yet.  This could save you even more time.

Muhammad Sadat <sadat AT INFOTECH.COM DOT PK> wrote:
Dear All,
I have first client requiring BMR on Windows. I know that cristie BMR is
integrated with Tivoli. I have a question since I have not yet tested it
out:

1- While backups have been taken by Tivoli server, and BMR media created
by Cristie my understanding is as under:
Cristie created media be that CD or floppy will initiate the
restore process.
Once temporary OS is installed , the media will contact the TSM
server and start restore of data and OS files
Which means all the control is in the hands of Cristie to let TSM
Server know what to do.

QUESTION:
While it is integrated with TSM, how would we go about with the interface,
the GUI in TSM. Would there be some server side component added for
interfacing or is it inherent?
Please clear my misconceptions if any !!!

Cheers!
Sadi