ADSM-L

Migration from Legato

2004-06-01 19:00:24
Subject: Migration from Legato
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 16:59:33 -0600
        Folks,

        We have acquired a site using Legato, and they want to get off
Legato and go to TSM.

        Woo Hoo another "convert"... wait... more work for me. <sigh>
;-)

        Anyways, I'm working through the hardware and software costs
with them, but have a question for the group.

        They have about 15TB of data on tapes with a long term retention
(think patent and environmental data). They would like to move this data
into the new TSM system. They want this so that they will not have to
maintain the Legato system and library, and also to refresh the data
onto new tapes, as some of them are about 10 years old.

         I'm sure we can restore from Legato to HOSTX and re-archive to
TSM, but it sounds like a rather manual and long process.

The question (finally):

        Is there a product we can use to better transfer the data from
Legato to TSM?
        OR
        Is there a service we can purchase to convert this data to TSM?

        It sounds like a long shot to me, but I thought I would ask...

Thanks,
Ben