ADSM-L

Re: WINDOWS attribute changes

2004-05-28 18:32:50
Subject: Re: WINDOWS attribute changes
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 15:32:20 -0700
I wan't part of the discussion back then. What about journal based backup?
Using the "NotifyFilter" you can choose to ignore attribute changes or security
changes together or seperatly.  Of course the regular incremental backups would
still back up based on checking everything but the journal backups wouldn't.

Or an INCRBYDATE (incremental by date) backup.  It has the following
characteristics:

   It does not expire backup versions of files that are deleted from the
workstation.
   It does not rebind backup versions to a new management class if the
management class has changed.
   It does not back up files with attributes that have changed unless the
modification dates and times have also changed, such as NTFS security
information.
   It ignores the copy group frequency attribute of management classes.

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU> wrote:
>I am not familiar with the Windows environment, but recently the group
>turned file auditing on. I have researched this topic in the manual and it
>appears that if you change the ACLs or any attribute of the file, then it
>will backed up. Is there a way that if the ACLs have been changed, but the
>file hasn't been modified, that the file can be skipped for backup?

We hashed this basic topic in February ("NTFS permission changes").
Such attributes are intrinsic to the file, and so the file gets backed up
if the attributes change. The only possible mitigation is Adaptive Subfile
Backup.

Richard Sims http://people.bu.edu/rbs