ADSM-L

Antwort: Re: CD writer instead of a tape drive

2004-05-27 21:39:19
Subject: Antwort: Re: CD writer instead of a tape drive
From: Juerg Waldmeier <juerg.waldmeier AT ZURICH DOT CH>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 03:38:13 +0200
Hi Gerd,

since your idea sounds rather interesting, I did as you suggested
(hopefully), but now the server is constantly waiting for a media to write
to.

Here is what I did in detail:

   definition of manual library CDLIBRARY0
   definition of  drive CDWRITER0
   definition of device class CDCLASS0, with sequential access,
   type=removablefile, maxcapacity=600M
   definition of a path between TSM server and CDWRITER0
   definition of a new storage pool CDPOOL0, assigned to device class
   CDCLASS0
   update of storage BACKUPPOOL as the new storage pool CDPOOL0 is now its
   next storage pool

Now the BACKUPPOOL needs migration to its next storage pool CDPOOL0 but all
it does is wait endlessly for a scratch media to be mounted. Does this
media have to be labeled? And if yes: how can I label it? (the "label
libvolume" command does not produce any sensible effect). Strangely enough,
TSM seems to be waiting for a R/O device ... In the activity log it says:

"ANR83261 002: REMOVABLEFILE Datenträger SCRTCH  R/O innerhalb von 60
Minuten in Laufwerk CDWRITER0 (E:\) des Kassettenarchivs
CDLIBRARY0 einlegen."

Would be great if you have an idea what I did wrong!

Regards and thanks in advance

Juerg Waldmeier
IBM Certified System Administrator AIX

Database Management Open Systems
================================
Zurich Insurance Company
MAIL:   Unterrohrstrasse 5
        IED, SCUN, 00
        CH-8952 Schlieren
        Switzerland
FON:    +411 625 82 73
FAX:    +411 625 92 73
WWW:    http://www.zurich.com
MOBILE: +4179 372 43 08
EMAIL:  juerg.waldmeier AT zurich DOT ch

                      Gerd Becker
                      <Gerd.Becker@EMPR        An:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      ISE.DE>                  Kopie:
                      Gesendet von:            Thema:    Antwort: Re: CD writer
instead of a tape drive
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      13.05.2004 22:12
                      Bitte antworten
                      an "ADSM: Dist
                      Stor Manager"

Hi Juerg,
I tried to write to a DVD, when the Support comes out with Version 5.2.2. I
tried it hard, but I found a very easy way. In the Manual you can find
something about usage of DVD RAM and my writer didn't support this (it's
from ALDI ;-)). So I found out, that there is a litte Program called DLA
(Drive Letter Assingment) from Veritas, often included in the burner
software. Alternatively I used IN-CD from Nero (this is the better one). So
I am able to format my DVD (or CD) like a diskette. The rest is very
simple. Define a device-class of removable file and a manual library. Now
you can write directly on the CD or DVD. Thats really a good solution for
very small TSM-Servers.

Regards Gerd

                      Juerg Waldmeier
                      <juerg.waldmeier@        An:
                      ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      ZURICH.CH>               Kopie:    (Blindkopie: Gerd
                      Becker/Emprise)
                      Gesendet von:            Thema:    Antwort: Re: CD
                      writer instead of a tape drive
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      05/11/2004 10:05
                      AM
                      Bitte antworten
                      an "ADSM: Dist
                      Stor Manager"

Hi Jack,
too bad you don't remember the manual. Did you use a SCSI or an IDE device?
Regards   Juerg Waldmeier

                      "Coats, Jack"
                      <Jack.Coats@BANKST        An:
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      ERLING.COM>               Kopie:
                      Gesendet von:             Thema:    Re: CD writer
instead of a tape drive
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected].

                      10.05.2004 15:52
                      Bitte antworten an
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

I have used it to write database backups to.  Now it takes to many to make
it useful.  I even did a backup set at one time.

How?  I followed the directions in one of the manuals (yep, I forgot).
But it is there as an example and it is not very hard (once you see it ...
but
isn't it all :)

To store data, I would not suggest it unless you have a big CD library or
VERY
little data.  For testing it could be OK.

I suspect you really want it to act as a WORM drive, but I havn't managed
to figure out how to do that yet (I havn't tried hard).  Reclaimation on
WORM is
interesting.  The data is moved from write once media to another write once
media.
So you basically do NOT want to do this unless you must (like media cannot
fit
in the library, or you are running out of shelf space in your manual
library).
Why?  Due to the expense of replacing media.  If using RW media, you can
use
it
the same way but erase the media for re-use when done, kind of like tapes
or

other sequential storage.