ADSM-L

Re: Update Devclass from GENERICTAPE to ECARTRIDGE

2004-05-26 12:47:35
Subject: Re: Update Devclass from GENERICTAPE to ECARTRIDGE
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:47:03 -0500

From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Frank Scolieri
>I am not going to different type of tape. I am now using the TSM
Drivers
>as apposed to the Gresham drivers.

You're still going to have to do pretty much what Ted suggested. There
isn't any way to update an existing storage pool with a different device
class, and there is no way to update an existing device class with a new
device type.

This could get pretty complex. A new device class pretty much mandates a
new library definition, which means you may have to logically partition
your existing physical library (if it can be logically partitioned) so
that you can use the the new TSM library definition you'll need to set
up to go with the new device class definition. Then you'll need a new
storage pool to go with the new device class, which means you'll be
spending a lot of time moving data from the old primary storage pool to
the new primary storage pool. If you have an existing copy storage pool,
you're not going to be able to move anything off of that onto a new copy
storage pool at all; MOVE DATA doesn't support data movement from one
copy storage pool to another.

--
Mark Stapleton