ADSM-L

Re: Backup set - Instant archive

2004-05-26 12:17:10
Subject: Re: Backup set - Instant archive
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 11:16:09 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
Joe Crnjanski
>We would like to start using instant archive (backup set).
>
>Average archive per customer is around 10GB.
>We have LTO2 tapes (200/400), and it looks like that every new backup
set
>must be created on new tape. I can fit around 20 archives on one tape;
if
>it's possible.
>
>Does anyone know if this scenario is possible. Manual is not really
clear
>about this.

The (normal) environment is one backupset, one tape.

Possible workaround:
Create a second TSM server (or a second instance on the existing TSM
server) that uses a separate library (or possible a logical library
within your existing physical library).
Set up server-to-server communication, and use a server-based device
class to send backupsets to a virtual volume on the source server.
The target server will 'stack' multiple backupsets on a single physical
tape.

--
Mark Stapleton