ADSM-L

Re: Possibly OT: How to diagnose 3494 ATL "communications" failur es

2004-05-24 19:42:35
Subject: Re: Possibly OT: How to diagnose 3494 ATL "communications" failur es
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 19:41:16 -0400
>This hardware/system has been in place for years, without change.
>
>My bets are on a problem with the LM itself.
>
>This weekend, the connection died, again. No non-distruptive attempts to
>restablish the connection with the LM, worked. Yes, both boxes could PING
>each other.  As I told IBM, this is *NOT* a connectivity issue, in the
>lan/network sense. This is a "the LM is not responding as an LM".
>
>The only way we got it to work was to reinitialize the LAN ports from the
>LM/ATL.

Well, there has been change: it's gotten older!  (I've become an expert on
the subject.)  You could be seeing the effects of a deteriorating network
card or the like...which could be aggravated if the library is not on UPS
or power that is otherwise conditioned.

Watch out also if the library is not behind a firewall.  I worry about these
"embedded system" computers in that they rarely see any updates, and yet we
know that "holes" in operating systems are periodically found.  In the right
network circumstances, odd behavior from such a system may be the result of
someone trying to hack the box.

    me again,  Richard Sims