ADSM-L

Re: Library Manager/Client & Firewall - the sage continues

2004-05-23 18:55:20
Subject: Re: Library Manager/Client & Firewall - the sage continues
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:54:11 +1000
Is an SSH tunnel not possible here?

Either Linux -> AIX -> 3494 to share the library using library facilities
or Linux -> AIX to use the TSM library manager function?

Steve.

>>> zforray AT VCU DOT EDU 21/05/2004 6:06:22 >>>
Once again, I am looking for help/confirmation/suggestions on how to make
this seemingly impossible configuration of Library Manager/Library
Server/TSM server behind firewall.

This is what we are attempting----sorry about the repeats for those folks
who have been living through this mess, with me !

1.  3494-ATL with FC drives
2.  1-TSM AIX server acting as the Library Manager. Attached to SAN.
3.  1-TSM Linux server acting as a Library Client. Attached to SAN.

Here are the conditions/requirements:

a. The AIX server and the 3494 are on the same, private subnet.  The AIX
server is dual-homed with another nic that is accessible from the outside.
b. The Linux server is behind a firewall/nat on a completely different
network.  Dual-homing IS NOT ALLOWED.  We have been able to configure a
static IP address for when this server goes out the firewall.

Issue:

The Linux server needs to use the 3590-FC drives in the 3494-ATL.

Problem:

Server-to-server communications is not constant or kept open. While the
Linux server can contact and initiate communications with the AIX server,
the AIX server can not initiate a communications session with the Linux
server.....thus the AIX server can't manage the access to the tape library
and drives.

How can we resolve this ?  From my point of view, I can see how to do this
without either another connection to the ATL (again, not allowed as
dual-homed.....can the ATL have multiple IP addresses, one behind the
firewall, the other not ???) or another ATL just for the Linux server (not
do-able - no $$$$$).

We are open to any and all suggestions.

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipient(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in
error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by return
email.  You should also delete this email and destroy any hard copies produced.