ADSM-L

Re: Backup Session on Win2K Client running 5.1.5.2

2004-05-20 11:58:34
Subject: Re: Backup Session on Win2K Client running 5.1.5.2
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:58:15 -0600
Well, if you were at 5.1.5.7 then I would guess IC35417 as a possibility.
But if you are sure you are not at that level, then that is probably not
the problem.

It would help to know a little more about the circumstances surrounding
this problem. For example, when is this session started with respect to
the node's scheduled backup (i.e. at backup start, sometime in the middle
of the backup, after the backup proper has completed, etc.)? Are you
running in polling or prompted schedule mode? Are you using the CAD to
handle the scheduling, or are you using the client scheduler service only?
If you do a QUERY SESSION from the Admin CLI, what does it show for this
session? Do subsequent QUERY SESSION commands (spaced, say, 1 to 5 minutes
apart) show *any* change in *any* of the output fields? Are there any
anomalous messages in the client dsmsched.log or dsmerror.log files? How
about on the server, with respect to this node's activity during the
scheduled backup timeframe?

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"Jones, Kelli" <JonesK AT CHESTERFIELD DOT GOV>
05/20/2004 08:21
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Backup Session on Win2K Client running 5.1.5.2

TSM Server 5.1.7.0
Server OS AIX 5.1

TSM Client 5.1.5.2
Client OS Win 2000

One of our nightly backups is running throughout the night and keeping a
session open until I kill it the next day.  We occasionally have a couple
more that have the same behavior but is ALWAYS the case with this one
particular server.  The session would run forever if I didn't kill it.  We
have tried restarting services on the client and rebooting the client
server to no avail.  Support pointed me to APAR IC33672 but although we
are running in schedmode prompted, none of the other conditions exist for
us (i.e. server has not bee restarted) and most of our servers are
completing successfully every night.  Could the issue be with TSM server?
Could an upgrade of the client possibly correct the issue?

Just wanted to see if anyone on the list has experienced this same issue
and can shed some light on this...please let me know if I need to provide
any additional info...

Thanks!
K. Jones
Chesterfield County