ADSM-L

Re: Possibly OT: How to diagnose 3494 ATL "communications" failures

2004-05-20 11:14:24
Subject: Re: Possibly OT: How to diagnose 3494 ATL "communications" failures
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:14:15 -0400
Thanks for the feedback.
> What I would first pursue, per analogous ADSM QuickFacts entry:
>
>     Query  operation Error - Library is Offline to Host.
that
>         there is no access because the 3494 is itself offline.  Go to
its
>         operator station and go to Mode Online.

The library has always come back-online by itself. The "blips" seem to be
short-term.  Most of the time, TSM hasn't noticed.

>         For utmost assurance, check that the lmcpd is running, that your
>         /etc/ibmatl.conf is correct, and if a LAN connection that within
the
>         3494 Library Manager you have authorized your host to access it.
>
> If this is a persistent problem, check the 3494 panel for any
> issues, including
> Availability of all components.

Have checked. Nothing is wrong/offline. Nothing in the logs (per IBM)

> If this is an intermittent problem, then look to something like a Denial
Of
> Service monopolization of the subnet, or its moral equivalent: get
> your network  people involved.

This is a private, internal subnet. This TSM is the only one using the LAN
connection.

> If no issues there, try shutting down and power cycling the
> 3494, watching for any problems indicated as it comes up. Perhaps also
restart
> the lmcpd on your host.  Use ping and periodic mtlib query commands
> to determine under what circumstances the outage is occurring.

IBM suggested this when they first looked at it, for this problem.  If the
problem persists, I may suggest that to operations.

Again, thanks for your suggestions/ideas.  I never thought to check your
"ADSM Quickfacts" since I thought this might be OT: