ADSM-L

Re: Restore TSM database

2004-05-19 17:57:15
Subject: Re: Restore TSM database
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:57:07 -0700
I'm not sure why you have to pass those parms.  The backup volume should be in
your volhist file.  All you should have to do is run "dsmserv restore db
todate=today totime=now" if that was the last backup you ran.

But... If you really want to perform the restore that when then...

Looks like you are trying to use the dbvol parameter when you should be using
the "volumenames" parameter.

The manual states the following:

DSMSERV RESTORE DB--DEVclass--=--device_class_name----------->

                     .-,-----------.
                     V             |
>--VOLumenames--=--+---volume_name-+-+-------------------------->
                   '-FILE:file_name--'

   .-COMMIT--=--No------.
>--+--------------------+--------------------------------------><
   '-COMMIT--=--+-No--+-'
                '-Yes-'

DEVclass (Required)
   Specifies the name of the sequential access device class to use. You cannot
use a device class with a device type of NAS. The device class must be defined
in a device configuration file. If a device configuration file is not
available, you can manually create one (see the Administrator's Guide).
VOLumenames (Required)
   Specifies the backup volumes to use to restore the database. Possible values
are:
volume_name
   Specifies the names of the volumes. To specify multiple volumes, separate
the names with commas and without intervening spaces. List the volumes in the
order in which they were written.
FILE:file_name
   Specifies the name of a file that contains a list of the volumes. Enter the
volumes in the order in which they were written with each name on a separate
line.
COMMIT
   Specifies whether this is the last restore command needed to restore the
database. This parameter is optional. The default value is NO. Possible values
are:
No
   Specifies that you will issue one or more additional DSMSERV RESTORE DB
commands.
Yes
   Specifies that this is the last restore command to restore the database.

"Abdullah, Md-Zaini B BSP-IMI/42" <Md-Zaini.Abdullah AT SHELL DOT COM> wrote:
Hello TSM guru,

Normally, I did a tsm db backup to tape and managed to restore the database.

And also I have done tsm db backup to file devices class onto filesystem eg.
/ldb. It created the file /ldb/808454.dbb.
But how to restore ?

I tried the following command to restore but not successful.

"dsmserv restore db devclass=DISK-TMP dbvol=/ldb/84849157.dbb commit=yes"

Anybody, who have experience please help...

This is the devconfig of the current set-up.
#------------------------------------
# cat devconfig
/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS 3584DEV DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM2 ESTCAPACITY=209715200K
MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=60 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=3584LIB
DEFINE DEVCLASS DISK-TMP DEVTYPE=FILE FORMAT=DRIVE MAXCAPACITY=3788800K
MOUNTLIMIT=1 DIRECTORY=/ldb SHARED=NO
SET SERVERNAME TSM
DEFINE LIBRARY 3584LIB LIBTYPE=SCSI SERIAL="0000000139860401" SHARED=NO
DEFINE LIBRARY DISK_LIB LIBTYPE=FILE
DEFINE DRIVE 3584LIB 3584DRV1 ELEMENT=258 ONLINE=Yes SERIAL="9100600016"
DEFINE DRIVE DISK_LIB DISK_TMP ONLINE=Yes
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI 3584LIB A00002 1110 101*/
/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI 3584LIB A00003 1041 101*/
#