ADSM-L

Re: moved file on Netware ?

2004-05-19 07:25:59
Subject: Re: moved file on Netware ?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 07:25:52 -0400
>We have a question on an issue that came on a Netware box, that a user moved
>some of directory tree from the original backup tree to another tree. Then we
>had a restore request for the original tree which was moved. So we could not
>find any files to restore. We had the default backup copy group set to version
>exist 2, version delete 1, retain extra 30, and retain only 365.  So why was
>there not any inactive files to restore for the original tree?  Need help in an
>explanation of what happen.

Crucial information missing from the posting is relative timings and details on
how the restoral was attempted...  It's possible that the user change happened
so long ago that all versions evaporated.  If you have multiple management
classes, that client could have been using one with shorter retentions.  It's
unlikely, but not impossible, that the client used the dsmc Expire command to
eliminate the old stuff.

Related to retention is how the restoral was attempted.  If, for some reason,
the directories had a shorter retention than the files, attempting to drill down
the directory tree structure via the GUI may get nadda.
As the manuals and historic postings recommend, use the command line as the
authoritative method of checking: 'dsmc q backup -inactive -subdir=yes ...'.

>Thanks but there was no excludes on this box at all.

There don't have to be, for Excludes to be in effect, as it's possible for them
to be in server-side Cloptsets.  Always do 'dsmc q inclexcl' to fully check.

All this may not fully resolve the mystery.  Per auditor requirements, there
*should* be client backup logs going way back which could be reviewed to see
what the scoop is.  And, given what happened, it would be healthy to review
current backups to see what is going on now, to prevent future repeats of this
scene.

   Richard Sims