ADSM-L

AW: Small Sites

2004-05-19 04:59:51
Subject: AW: Small Sites
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:01:27 +0200
Hi,

as far as I understand you,
you only want to backup this site into an existing large TSM server
elsewhere.
I not, GOTO (2)

A small TSM Server per site, if necessarey at all,
is not practicable without both local administration and tape library.

I have few site like this (with the exception of Domino)
and the answer is :
first: it works, assuming that amount of files changed daily
is significantly  less than WAN capacity in the backup window.
Second, read "first" again.
Third, compression and subfile backup can help much, but it depends
on data and you configuration.

Probaly backup of system object will not be practicable,
but backup of data files probably yes.

You will have to tune include/exclude options down,
you will have to tune network parameters,
compression/compressalways parameters (per directory, file type..)
subfilebackup
you will want to use  journal service.

FORGET full backup weekly, no one needs it. Read TSM concepts,
browse in this user forum.
What you/your users need is RESTORE and ONLY RESTORE,
no one in the world ever needed backup, not to say a full backup.

Consider you restore requirements,
if full restore is an issue, it will take long time through the WAN.
Maybe is backup set generation and physical transfer of the backup set along
with
technician and restore on-site required and/or practicable.

For backup of Domine, think about replication. This might cause less
bandwidth consumption
comparing to TSM backup.

(2) if you want an backup server (tsm or not) in each of this sites,
you have apparently got a problem with both budget and administration,
in fact.

this are only couple of points from more to be considered

regards
Juraj