ADSM-L

Re: Fw: Follow Up Questions -->Re: When Performing Scheduled Selective Backups?

2004-05-17 17:00:55
Subject: Re: Fw: Follow Up Questions -->Re: When Performing Scheduled Selective Backups?
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 15:00:38 -0600
Can you provide the output from the selective command that includes the
-removeoperandlimit option that doesn't work?

Regards,

andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/17/2004
12:51:51:

> Howdy folks,
>
> This is just to follow up with answers to questions posted while back.
> Many of you may already know this, but..  here it goes.
>
> 1)  It was discover that you can't do selective backup of "SYSTEM
OBJECT,"
> and  because needed to backup everything I ended up writing a small
batch
> file/cmd file and used action=command as Andrew suggested.
>
> fullback.cmd there is
> dsmc selective C:\*Dl:\* E:\* -subdir=yes >> fullback.out
> dsmc backup systemobject >> fullback.out
>
> 2)  Also -removeoperandlimit doesn't work with selective command, so I
> ended up breaking them up into two separate schedules with 15 objects
each.
> Based on this experience, it was discovered that  some options may work
> with incremental may not work with  selective.      Grrrrrr..
>

> Sung Lee
>
> ----- Forwarded by Sung Y Lee/Austin/IBM on 05/17/2004 03:37 PM -----
>
>              Sung Y
>              Lee/Austin/IBM
>              04/12/2004 12:04          "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"
>              PM                        <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>
> cc
>
> Subject
>                                        Follow Up Questions -->Re: When
>                                        Performing Scheduled Selective
>                                        Backups?(Document link: Sung Y
Lee
> [...]
>                        Objects:  "/"  "/usr/" ...  ... ...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sung Lee
>

>              Andrew
>              Raibeck/Tucson/IB
>              M@IBMUS To
>              Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
>              Dist Stor cc
>              Manager"
>              <[email protected] Subject
>              .EDU>                     Re: When Performing Scheduled
>                                        Selective Backups?
>
>              04/07/2004 11:09
>              PM
>

>              Please respond to
>              "ADSM: Dist Stor
>                  Manager"
>

> Sung,
>
> Yes, selective backup uses the include/exclude list.
>
> There is no concept of DOMAIN processing for archive or selective
backup,
> so you need to specify the paths in your OBJECTS list. If your goal is
> selectively back up entire drives (though why one would do this I do not
> know), you can update the backup copy groups and change the copy mode to
> ABSOLUTE, then just schedule incremental backups.
>
> Another approach would be to define the schedule as ACTION=COMMAND. The
> command could be a script that runs on each client machine. In the
script
> you could automate the creation of the object list, then launch dsmc
> commands to back up the objects in the list.
>
> Regards,
>
> Andy
>
> Andy Raibeck
> IBM Software Group
> Tivoli Storage Manager Client Development
> Internal Notes e-mail: Andrew Raibeck/Tucson/IBM@IBMUS
> Internet e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com
>
> The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked.
> The command line is your friend.
> "Good enough" is the enemy of excellence.
>

> Sung Y Lee/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
> 04/07/2004 14:05
> Please respond to
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> cc
>
> Subject
> When Performing Scheduled Selective Backups?
>

> TSM and ADSMers,
>
> I have a question about performing scheduled selective backups.
> Is it possible to create a schedule to do a selective backup of the
nodes
> without having to list each filespace inside the "objects"?
>
> Like for UNIX  can i do
>  Objects: "\*.*"
>
> and for Windows
>  Objects: "?:\*.*"
>
> and also if you have include or exclude on the clients does selective
> backup go thru this list and performs include and excludes as specified
in
> the  file?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Sung  Lee
>
> [image removed] [image removed] [image removed] [image removed] [image
removed]