ADSM-L

Re: "Lanfree path failed: using lan", reason ?

2004-05-13 16:53:37
Subject: Re: "Lanfree path failed: using lan", reason ?
From: Pawel Wozniczka <pwozniczka AT KGHM DOT PL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 22:53:07 +0200
>I would recommend taking a look at the Activity Log of the Storage
>Agent.  You can connect to the Storage Agent using a regular Admin Client,

Thanks for reply

I did watch the activity log of StorageAgent, there were no errors, just
messages about starting & ending sessions, and tape mounts. The only one
thing that is strange to me, namely the mount retention seems to be
hard-coded to 1 minute on drives used by StorageAgent (the same drives
declared at the real tsm server have 60 min. retention peroid) , is it
normal ?

I can't copy & paste real messages from storage agent act log at the moment,
but it looked like this:

Volume 942AES mounted in drive1
Session begins for node ......

**
Now the drive is really recording data (checked on the library operator
panel and  "q content vol 942AES f=d" on tsm server shows expected oracle
backupsets)

After some few gigabytes, tdpoerror.log shows lanfree path failed, and
storage agent activity log now includes:
**

Mount retention 1 min. exceeded, volume 942AES dismounted
Volume 943AES mounted in drive2 (943AES is the next available volume in that
storage pool)
Session begins for node ....

And from that point the backup process continues but data is being
transfered via lan path.

>Are tape paths on 3583 based on tape drive serial number or just the rmt
>numbers?
>We've had some problems with human error on tape paths.  Usually because of
>1) the presence or lack of an internal 8mm drive at rmt0 or 2) the lanfree

I checked which rmt device points to which drive by issuing "lscfg -vl rmtX"
and looking at serial number, and paths were defined based on that info.

thanks for feedback

Pawel Wozniczka