ADSM-L

Re: NetWare Cluster Issues...

2004-05-11 11:24:51
Subject: Re: NetWare Cluster Issues...
From: Matt Zufelt <mzufelt AT SUU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:24:35 -0600
I am currently backing up a 9 node NetWare 6 cluster.  The docs were of some
help (though not much--the cluster portion was very difficult to make sense
of).  Most of what I have was the result of collaboration with a couple of
smart folks over at UNC Chapel Hill.

To put it briefly, the key pieces of what we put together here at SUU are:

1. Load the TSA with the /cluster=off switch
2. Use the cluster option in the dsm.opt file
3. Each local node loads dsmcad with the dsm.opt specifying a domain of SYS:
and SERVERSPECIFICINFO (I've actually removed the sys: recently because there's
really nothing in there that is worth backing up.  If the server crashes,
resources will move to another node and I'll fix the crashed node.  There's
nothing special on the SYS vol that I'll need to recover)
4. A unique TSM node name was created for each cluster resource
5. Each cluster resource loads a renamed dsmcad.nlm (renamed so that each
resource has a unique name allowing for easier unloads--if I just unloaded
dsmcad, all instances would unload).  The renamed dsmcad.nlm is loaded with the
-optfile= parameter so that a unique dsm.opt can be used for each resource.
The unique dsm.opt file contains the TSM node name, the domain line that points
specifically to the clustered volume, and a specific httpport for that resource.

I've got a longer doc that goes into more detail that I will send you off-list.

Matt Zufelt
Southern Utah University

>>> Olin.Blodgett AT FLHOSP DOT ORG 5/11/2004 8:32:18 AM >>>
Ok here is the deal... I have a Netware cluster of 7 nodes (soon to be 23)
each having 3 clustered volumes. Any volume can be on any node at any time.
Has anyone set this up before? If so did you use the TSM docs, did you get
help, or was it trial and error? The docs do not seem to be very helpful.

Olin Blodgett

TSM Administrator

Florida Hospital