ADSM-L

Re: CD writer instead of a tape drive

2004-05-10 09:55:17
Subject: Re: CD writer instead of a tape drive
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 08:52:18 -0500
I have used it to write database backups to.  Now it takes to many to make
it useful.  I even did a backup set at one time.

How?  I followed the directions in one of the manuals (yep, I forgot).
But it is there as an example and it is not very hard (once you see it ...
but
isn't it all :)

To store data, I would not suggest it unless you have a big CD library or
VERY
little data.  For testing it could be OK.

I suspect you really want it to act as a WORM drive, but I havn't managed
to figure out how to do that yet (I havn't tried hard).  Reclaimation on
WORM is
interesting.  The data is moved from write once media to another write once
media.
So you basically do NOT want to do this unless you must (like media cannot
fit
in the library, or you are running out of shelf space in your manual
library).
Why?  Due to the expense of replacing media.  If using RW media, you can use
it
the same way but erase the media for re-use when done, kind of like tapes or

other sequential storage.