ADSM-L

Re: RMAN handling of environment variables

2004-05-06 16:20:28
Subject: Re: RMAN handling of environment variables
From: Neil Rasmussen <rasmussn AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 13:18:59 -0700
...the ones specified in the RMAN channel definitions
in effect at the time of the restore.

Regards,

Neil Rasmussen
Software Development
Data Protection for Oracle
rasmussn AT us.ibm DOT com

Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
05/06/2004 12:55 PM
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
RMAN handling of environment variables

We are preparing to migrate our TSM server to a new platform. Some of
our client systems use TDP for Oracle. Most of these perform a full
backup of Oracle databases once per week and incremental backups at
least once per day. This raises the interesting possiblity of ending
up with a full backup on our old TSM server and some of the subsequent
incremental backups on our new TSM server.

RMAN channel definitions for use with TDPO generally include a parameter
specifying the value of the TDPO_OPTFILE environment variable to be
passed to TDPO. I am wondering what would happen with the following
scenario:

1.We define a new TDPO options file.
2.We change the RMAN environment variable definition to point to the new
  options file.
3.We run one or more incremental backups.
4.We run a restore.

When TDPO is called to restore a particular file, will the environment
variables passed to TDPO be the ones in use when that particular file
was backed up, or the ones specified in the RMAN channel definitions
in effect at the time of the restore?