ADSM-L

Re: What are people doing to bkup big DB2, data warehouse

2004-05-06 13:29:15
Subject: Re: What are people doing to bkup big DB2, data warehouse
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <mark.stapleton AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:28:05 -0500
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
MC
Matt Cooper (2838)
>    We are backup up a 3TB DB2 data warehouse but it is taking almost
11
>hours, end to end...
>    Ideally we would like to back it up hot, seems to big and active.
>There is too much data for mirroring or FLASHCOPY.   Has anyone tried
>just backing upthe RAWS seperatly?

If you could, would you *really* trust the quality of the backup? How
would you test the restore? (Particularly on 9840s--it would take a
mountain of them. Yeep!)

It comes down to a non-technical answer. If you are going to work with
enterprise-scaled infrastructures, you are going to have to stage the
backup to disk (for example, flashcopy) and then move the offline copy
to tape.

Remember Rule #3 of Enterprise Operations: You can have it good; you can
have it fast; you can have it cheap. But you can only have two out of
three.

--
Mark Stapleton