ADSM-L

tsm client and server ports

2004-05-06 12:32:26
Subject: tsm client and server ports
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:26:24 -0400
A little clarification please. Below is an excerpt from the summary table
of one of our TSM servers.
As you can see below you have the ip address a client node used during it's
last communications with the tsm server (backup).
Now I'm assuming that on the right of the colon (:) is the port number that
the client used during it's last communications?
If that's the case, then will I have a problem if I closed down all
unwanted ports on the client and tsm server systems except
for port 1500 (tsm server) and port 1501 (tsm client)? Will that allow for
proper backup and restoration communication?, or should I
open these high ports as well such as "45914" for instance? If so what are
those high port ranges. Also I don't see any client
communicating over the 1501 port? or the server's 1500 port?. Would just
1500 and 1501 be sufficient?
Please advise thanks!.

172.23.31.57:45914
172.23.31.56:40728
172.23.31.46:45070
172.23.31.63:38029
172.23.31.55:36660
172.23.31.51:52830
172.23.31.50:54689
172.23.31.41:65237
172.23.31.19:49989
172.23.31.39:37354
172.23.31.37:35166

--Justin Richard Bleistein
Unix/TSM Systems Administrator (Sungard Availability Services)
Desk: (856) 566 - 3485
Cell:    (856) 912 - 0861
Email: justin.bleistein AT sungard DOT com