ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB growing, but number of files remains the same ...

2004-05-04 07:13:07
Subject: Re: TSM DB growing, but number of files remains the same ...
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 07:07:55 -0400
>I'm facing a strange problem, in that my DB began to grow at an abnormal
>rate, a couple of weeks ago. I tried to find out the reason why ...

As we keep advising List members:  Run regular TSM accounting reports and
review the results, both for quick detection of "runaway" clients and for
long term capacity planning.  This will allow you to know for certain where
all the new TSM database objects/activity are coming from, and when.

You may find that, though a client's file system population remains largely
the same, the number of versions it may be generating may suddenly balloon,
due to a new company project or the like: each database entry may effectively
inflate with increased instances of the same object - plus backup stgppool
recording.

   Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs