ADSM-L

Re: How to figure out why Log got pinned - afterwards

2004-04-26 15:04:50
Subject: Re: How to figure out why Log got pinned - afterwards
From: Dwight Cook <cookde AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:59:15 -0500

Look for an NT box that had a session canceled due to a timeout value being
reached...

04/23/2004 23:37:24  ANR0481W Session 834 for node XXXXXXXX (WinNT)
                      terminated - client did not respond within 7800
seconds.
                      (SESSION: 834)

That sucker pinned my log and triggered about 200+ full data base backups
because each full db backup didn't free enough log space!

ARGH !

Dwight E. Cook
Systems Management Integration Professional, Advanced
Integrated Storage Management
TSM Administration
(918) 925-8045

                      Roger Deschner
                      <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>         To:       ADSM-L AT
VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          cc:
                      Dist Stor                Subject:  How to figure out why
Log got pinned - afterwards
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      04/26/2004 09:48
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Over the weekend, my Log got pinned and it filled up, severely
interrupting a barbecue. (Murphy's Law in action: My pager went off
WHILE the steaks were on the grill.)

Now that it is all mopped up (and the easily available evidence is
thereby destroyed) how can I figure out how this happened? (I know, I
should have entered a SHOW LOGPIN command, but I didn't. It didn't occur
to me until a search of adsm.org long afterward.) Are there any telltale
signs I can search for in the Activity Log? Or in the Accounting file?

==== "Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." ====

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image