ADSM-L

Re: Please help me NOT migrate

2004-04-20 11:45:05
Subject: Re: Please help me NOT migrate
From: Ben Bullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:44:33 -0600
        Ahh, the politics, we all get it. I'm in a very similar boat as
you are

        I too am getting "encouragement" to move our 8 TSM servers from
AIX to anything else. My first choice would be to keep with the IBM
PSeries hardware and run Linux on it, but management also seems to want
the IBM hardware gone.

        Some folks keep suggesting a Windows platform, but I resist. My
personal opinion is that the typical Wintel platforms just can't do the
I/O necessary to run multiple GB interfaces and 14 fibrechannel drives.
I'm sure others in this group will rebuff my opinion, flame away :-)

        I'm a Unix admin, so I lean towards some other flavor of *nix.
Once again, since we run most of our Linux hosts on Intel platforms &
I'm not confident about the I/O ability, therefore I lean towards
Solaris. We have some experience with Solaris TSM servers as I set up 2
remote sites. They seem to work OK, but they are not very large
installations.

Ben