ADSM-L

Re: LTO tape cartridge(200GB/400GB) stores data 500GB+.

2004-04-17 05:59:58
Subject: Re: LTO tape cartridge(200GB/400GB) stores data 500GB+.
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 23:22:46 -0500
This varies greatly with the data, of course. I'm seeing compression
ratios of 4:1 with email, which is mostly plain text with a lot of blank
space characters. MIME attachments usually compress 2:1. Many binaries
are already compressed, such as jpeg images, and do not compress any
further. But on the general mix of client-owned data, I see more like
1.5:1.

Do client compression. They have more spare CPU cycles than your server
does, and this also saves your network bandwidth. It also conserves
space in your online disk storage pools. A study done by SPSS Inc. a few
years ago showed that data compression was essentially free. The
processor time it took to do the compression in a program's internal
storage was less than the additional processor time it would have taken
to handle the I/O for writing the larger, uncompressed file out. Just be
prepared for that 200/400GB tape cartridge to hold only 200GB.