ADSM-L

Re: 3494 with 3592-J1A on Linux/390

2004-04-07 16:07:58
Subject: Re: 3494 with 3592-J1A on Linux/390
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 16:07:19 -0400
>    Before I go hunting for doc/info, has anyone configured Linux running
>a z/Series to use a 3494 and 3592-J tape drive?  The Linux LPAR is runing
>SUSe 8.
>
>     I assume that IBMtape is required, and that the Install guide for it
>will help me get the drives configured for the 3592.  I wonder if I should
>also assume that it will talk to the 3494 Changer via TCPIP, like AIX
>does via atldd?

Steve - Can't tell from your posting if you're referring to the TotalStorage
        guide, but the following manuals should be in your collection, the
first one being vital to your task:

  "IBM TotalStorage Tape Device Drivers: Installation and User's Guide",
   (GC35-0154) (a renaming of the earlier manual "IBM SCSI Tape Drive, Medium
    Changer, and Library Device Drivers: Installation and User's Guide", of the
    same publication number)
  "IBM TotalStorage Tape Device Drivers: Programming Reference" (GC35-0346)
   (a renaming of the earlier manual "IBM SCSI Tape Drive, Medium Changer, and
    Library Device Drivers: Programming Reference" (WB2107))
        Available at ftp://ftp.storsys.ibm.com/devdrvr/Doc/
                     (refer to the .message or README file in that directory)
                  or ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Doc/  as files:
         IBM_TotalStorage_tape_IUG.ps      or  IBM_TotalStorage_tape_IUG.pdf
         IBM_TotalStorage_tape_PROGREF.ps  or  IBM_TotalStorage_tape_PROGREF.pdf
 Richard Sims