ADSM-L

Re: ?continue using 3590's or convert to LTO tape?

2004-04-06 11:12:50
Subject: Re: ?continue using 3590's or convert to LTO tape?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 11:12:23 -0400
FWIW, adding an additional STORAGE frame to you 3494 is probably your
least-cost option in the short term.  D-frames (drive) are expensive, but
S-frames (storage) are really cheap - you will spend more on media to fill
it than on the frame!

We are in somewhat the same position as you.  We aren't concerned about our
media life, but we need additional capacity.  As soon as the $ are available
we have decided to go ahead and start converting our TSM from 3590 to LTO.
Not that we are unhappy with the 3590, but for future growth, we can't
justify the cost of 3590-H or 3592  IN OUR ENVIRONMENT.

No one, including IBM, has EVER said that the LTO drives are equivalent to
3590 (or STK 9840's) in terms of reliability, speed, and duty cycle.  I have
no hesitation at all in running my 3590's or 9840's doing reclaims 24 hours
a day, if necessary.  In terms of reliability of drives and media, I think
they are the best thing you can buy (except maybe those things they put in
airline black boxes :>).  We found we could NOT run our DLT drives nearly
that hard, we just shredded both drives & media.  LTO - so far we have had
NO problems at all, but I don't think anybody has had LTO long enough to see
what type of drive reliability you get when the drives start to age and you
pound them really hard.

Our TSM enviornment is not particularly dynamic; we don't get a lot of
user-generated ad-hoc calls for quick restores on our server that uses
3590's.  As such, LTO meets our TSM requirements.  And for future growth,
there is just no way we can justify the cost of the 3590-H or 3592 when we
can get the capacity and satisfactory (if not optimal) speed with LTO so
cheaply.  (However, if this were an HSM environment, that would change the
equation a lot.)

So in short, consider your environment.   If your concern is big bulk, go
with LTO.  If you have a need for speed, stick with 359x.

You are probably uniquely positioned to TEST it yourself, since you already
have both types of hardware.
What is your worst fear?  Having to restore one huge server in the minimal
amount of time, or respond to a dozen requests for single files?

Set up a test machine and run the restore.  Then mark all your ONSITE tapes
as UNAVAILABLE, and run the restore again - that will force the restore to
come from your LTO copy pool instead.  See what you like and don't like
about the results.  LTO may be sufficient, maybe not, for your needs.

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)