ADSM-L

Re: ?continue using 3590's or convert to LTO tape?

2004-04-06 10:24:56
Subject: Re: ?continue using 3590's or convert to LTO tape?
From: Bill Fitzgerald <wfitzger AT MHC DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 10:24:04 -0400
we are in the process of setting up a High availability/disaster
recovery site and we have decided to go with a LTO library at the remote
site for the copy pool and keep our current 3 frame 3494 with 3590Es as
the primary sequential pool.

the reasoning behind it is that the LTO are great for highspeed
streaming backups (non collocated) (remote access) where the 3590Es are
better at co-located storage and faster at finding and restoring
individual files.

There is also a trade off in physical size, the HA/DR site is not as
large as the primary computer center.

>>> rdearm1 AT UIC DOT EDU 4/6/04 9:55:32 AM >>>

I'm going in the direction of the 3592 upgrade for my 3494.  I have an
LTO1
w/2 drives for an offsite copy pool and I've had more problems with it
than
the 3590 drives in my 3494 primary storage pool.  I believe the 3592
technology to be much more stable and tested than the LTO models.  I
don't
think IBM will phase out the 3592 line because it's there cash cow.
You pay
$30k for a 3592 or $10k for an LTO why would you phase out your money
maker.
Besides large mainframe environments highly use 3590 technology.
Although I
do believe LTO storage capacity will exceed 3592 drives in the near
future
and upgrades in capacity to 3592 line will be slower than those for
LTO.