ADSM-L

Re: Directory storage pools

2004-04-06 00:18:29
Subject: Re: Directory storage pools
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 22:10:39 -0600
TSM's selection for default directory management class for backup isn't
quite that sophisticated: it picks the management class whose backup copy
group has the longest RETONLY setting. In the case where there is a tie,
the management class whose name is highest in collating sequence gets
picked. The number of versions kept is not a factor.

Thus one "gotcha" to watch out for with the current selection method is
that the default management class could end up going to tape (this has
come up in the past on ADSM-L).

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

The command line is your friend.

Laurent Bendavid <bendavid.laurent AT FREE DOT FR>
04/05/2004 14:23
Please respond to
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager"

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Directory storage pools

For me, when you backup file tree, all files are backed using your
Management Definition in your include/exclude list,
but directories use DIRMC as Management Class automatically. If you
don't have a DIRMC option,
TSM select the "best" Management Class to backup directories, i.e.
Management Class with the longest retention and the greatest version
number in your Policy Set.

This way is important, if you want to restore a file with its sub
directories in every condition.