ADSM-L

AW: Restoring data after deleting a volume

2004-04-05 11:21:47
Subject: AW: Restoring data after deleting a volume
From: Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:23:36 +0200
well, DELETE VOLUME is a secure way.. to loose your data.

dsmadmc> HELP DELETE VOLUME
          If the volume being deleted is a primary storage pool volume, the
          server checks whether any copy storage pool has copies of files
          that are being deleted. When files stored in a primary storage
          pool volume are deleted, any copies of these files in copy storage
          pools are also deleted.

1) If you are NOW to restore files from this volume,
simply tell TSM the volume is destroyed:
 UPDATE VOLUME BlahBlah access=destroyed
and subsequent DSMC RESTORE will
retsore files from backup storage pool (assuming the volumes required are
not OFFSITE).
After restore use RESTORE VOLUME or RESTORE STG
to recreate you primary storage pool volumes.
Check the HELP command for more details.

2) Alternatively, if you are afraid not all files from the volume concerned
have redundant copy in a backup storage pool,
use AUDIT VOLUME first followed with RESTORE VOLUME or RESTORE STG,
a n d  with BACKUP STG,
then goto (1).

regards
juraj