ADSM-L

Re: getting files from another AIX node

2004-04-02 15:28:39
Subject: Re: getting files from another AIX node
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 15:28:04 -0500
>I had a request from a DBA to restore the install data for oracle from
>one AIX node to another. On Windows I have  used the virtualnode option
>with success, but on AIX the manual says use the fromnode option.
>
>It seems to go but then says it can't find any files as a result of the
>query, yet the files are backed up on the source AIX node. Anyone ever
>do anything similar?

Just where are you looking in the manual?  The Unix B/A Client manual says:
 "You can use the virtualnodename option to temporarily access your node's data
  from another machine."

>From ADSM QuickFacts:

-VIRTUALNodenamef vs. -FROMNode         -FROMNode and -FROMOwner are part of the
                                        facility for users sharing server-stored
                                        files, defined by filename via Set
                                        Access.  -VIRTUALNodename is for gaining
                                        access to all of a client's
                                        server-stored files while at another
                                        client (of the same type).

It certainly does work.  Make sure that you are doing the query as root; that
the right source-client password is being used; that it the query is formulated
appropriately; and enclose the filespace portion in braces, if there could be
any filespace confusion, as with nested names.  Perform the same query on the
source node for comparison.

If still no go, re-post with further details.

  Richard Sims   http://people.bu.edu/rbs