ADSM-L

TSM client memory usage

2004-03-30 08:44:25
Subject: TSM client memory usage
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:44:40 -0500
We are configure our new Lotus Domino servers and have some questions
about the TSM client (Windows 2003 server) and how and how much memory it
will/can use.

These servers are going to be big, with 4-6TB of disk storage, to support
20-30K accounts. Nightly backups will probably be in the 100's of GB.  We
are also planning to perform IMAGE backups to our new LTO2 system,
probably monthly.

We have been told by IBM/Lotus that a Domino 6.5 server will not use more
than 4GB of RAM.

We are trying to decide whether to have these servers configured with 6GB
of RAM !

The question is, will the TSM client make good use of the extra 2GB of
memory, when performing its backups ?   What
factors/options/configurations will help to make it use the extra memory ?

Any help in this area is greatly appreciated !

Zoltan Forray
Virginia Commonwealth University
University Computing Center
e-mail: zforray AT vcu DOT edu